Explore and reshape distant worlds! Astroneer is set during the 25th century’s Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe.
On this adventure, players can work together to build custom bases above or below ground, create vehicles to explore a vast solar system, and use terrain to create anything they can imagine. A player’s creativity and ingenuity are the key to seeking out and thriving while on exciting planetary adventures!
- Reshape the ground under your feet as though it were made of clay.
- Survive on and explore procedurally generated planets that can be entirely deformed and traversed.
- Build vehicles and travel to new planets and moons.
- Snap together components and objects to customize bases and vehicles.
- 4 player online drop-in/drop-out co-op.
Astroneer is now nearing the end of Alpha and Early Access development. Since December 2016, we have worked with our amazing community to update the game almost 40 times, and we now are finalizing a 1.0 version of Astroneer that we are extremely proud of. With our final Early Access update now out, we are focusing solely on the 1.0 version of the game, which will be releasing February 6th, 2019.
When we entered Alpha in Early 2018, we laid out the following features we needed to complete before we felt Astroneer was complete:
- Basebuilding: Basebuilding completely changes how players build out their space bases in Astroneer! This system will allow for completely customizable base layouts that can be modified and moved at any time. (Released!)
- Power Refactor: Players now have the ability to create and manage power infrastructure to create highly efficient bases above or below ground! (Released!)
- Terrain 2.0: An all new procedural terrain system that will be much more performance friendly, while allowing us to create much more robust planets. These new planets will include more diverse biomes, land features, underground cave systems and more. (Public Tech Test released)
- Weather & Hazards: Explore planets while outsmarting aggressive flora, and work around planet wide characteristics (Full release in 1.0 build)
- Dedicated Server Support: Through a third party service, rent a server that will act as a host for your solar system and progress while also allowing you to invite players on any platform! Update: We will have more details about dedicated servers as we get closer to 1.0
We also added the following features during this period:
- Vehicle Refactor: This greatly improved the existing vehicle system. It added directional steering, wheel physics, suspension, and overall stability to rovers. (Released)
- Persistent Exploration Goals: During Early Access, we heard a lot about what players wanted to see for high level goals to strive towards that built on our strong sandbox. This large feature will be rolling out fully at 1.0. (See the first look of it here)
- Crafting and Resource Refactor: This update added several new resources and layers to Astroneer’s crafting progression. (Released!)
- Player Customization: This new system will allow for in-game earnable customization of Astroneers! (Shipping in 1.0)
In addition to the features mentioned above, you can expect a game like Astroneer in Early Access to contain bugs, crashes, and overall instability in single and multiplayer.
If you think our core gameplay is compelling enough to want to support Astroneer while it’s still in Early Access, we’d love to have your support. Otherwise, we recommend waiting until Astroneer is out in 1.0, in a state where the game is more stable and gameplay and content are finalized. We’re committed to making Astroneer the best it can be and including you this early in development is a crucial step in that. Also, be aware that saves created during Early Access will not be compatible with the 1.0 version of Astroneer.
If you’re curious about the direction we’re aiming to take Astroneer in, be sure to go check out our road map, and our development vlogs that we post to keep you updated on what we are working on!